Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yo Gabba Gabba's New Season


The new season of Nick Jr.'s Yo Gabba Gabba has started. Just in time. Several times a day my 16 month old daughter grabs the remote and yells out "GAH-BUH! GAH-BUH!" until I play one of the many episodes I have DVRed. I guess the new season is good thing for me, perhaps more than it is for her. We have seen all of the past season's episodes dozens of times each. Repetition is a good thing for toddlers, not so much for parents.

Now I know if you have read my previous posts (the last two), you are probably wondering what does this have to do with music. Yo Gabba Gabba is a musical show. But even when the characters sing their way through their daily morals and lessons, the music does not irritate the way "kids music" often does. For those of you have not seen Yo Gabba Gabba yet, it features a music segment with bands that many of the parents may be familiar with. This season opened with the Ting Tings, most famous for "Shut Up and Let Me  Go" used in one of the catchy iPod commercial, doing a cover of Altered Images "Happy Birthday." That was a great start for the new season and I don't even like the Ting Tings. Other musical guest have included Cornelius, the Shins, and Paul Williams.

Also celebrity cameos help to give parents to watch. Elijah Wood and Laila Ali have contributed a "dancey dance" for the kids at home to follow. Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh does a regular drawing segment. 

Anyhow, I don't work for Nickelodeon. I just watch this show more than once a day so it is always on my mind.

No comments: